Looking for a healthy recipe for chicken parmesan casserole? One bite and you will be so in love with this recipe, it will become the only chicken parmesan pasta recipe you will want.
Delicious and Easy Skinny Chicken Parmesan Casserole Bake
This healthy Chicken Parmesan Casserole is so delicious that you’d never know you’re eating healthy. The casserole aspect brings a fun, new take to Chicken Parm, while still keeping it simple and quick. The best part about this recipe (besides the fact that it’s only 268 calories per serving) is that you don’t even have to cook the pasta before throwing it in the oven! The low-sodium chicken broth and crushed tomatoes make the chicken and pasta even more hearty and filling. Throw in some chicken, mozzarella, Parmesan, and Italian seasonings and you’ve got yourself an easy, quick, healthy, family-favorite meal!
Can I Use Chicken Thighs in This Healthy Chicken Parmesan?
While I use boneless skinless chicken breast in this recipe is you wanted to use chicken thighs you can. It adds more calories and fat to the recipe. If using chicken thighs, be sure to use boneless skinless thighs and trim any additional fat off of the chicken. This will also change the nutritional values.
Can You Freeze a Baked Chicken Parmesan Recipe?
I love making this recipe as a freezer meal. A great way to use this as a freezer meal is to double the recipe when making it. Bake half of the baked chicken parmesan recipe and add the other half to a different casserole dish. You can bake the second dish or you can freeze it before baking. While I have done both, I prefer to freeze it before baking. If you are freezing it after baking, consider adding a little more sauce to prevent it from tasting dry.
What to Serve with Healthy Pasta Bake
While this can easily be a complete dish on its own, if you are looking for something to serve on the side, consider:
- Easy & Healthy Broccoli Salad with Bacon
- Serve a side salad with Greek Yogurt Healthy Ranch Dressing or Honey Mustard Dressing
Why not consider Dessert? Try these:
- Fruit Filled Healthy Popsicles Recipe
- Easy & Healthy Strawberry Ice Cream Recipe
- Mini Caramel Apple Recipe
Ingredients for Chicken Parmesan Pasta Recipe
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast
- Salt and Pepper
- Whole Wheat Penne Pasta
- No Salt Added Crushed Tomatoes
- Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- Fresh Basil
- Italian Seasoning
- Reduced-Fat Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- Reduced-Fat Shredded Parmesan Cheese
- Panko Bread Crumbs
How to Make Chicken Parm Pasta Bake
Chicken Parmesan Casserole
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 1 13.25-ounce box whole wheat penne pasta
- 1 28-ounce can no-salt-added crushed tomatoes
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- ½ cup reduced-fat shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup reduced-fat shredded Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup panko bread crumbs
- Preheat the oven to 350° F and grease a 9x13-inch casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Spread the chicken in an even layer on the bottom of the casserole dish. Season the chicken with salt and black pepper to taste. Next, spread the uncooked pasta over the chicken.
- Pour the crushed tomatoes and chicken broth over the pasta, and sprinkle the basil and Italian seasoning over the sauce. Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes.
- Uncover and top with the 2 cheeses, and panko bread crumbs. Spray the panko generously with nonstick cooking spray.
- Bake an additional 10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the breadcrumbs are browned.